Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Love from "the baby" #6

Day 3: Letter to My Parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

I hate to write one of those sappy, "you're my hero" type of letters, but let's face it, you guys kind of are. It's not easy to step out and stand alone and stick to your beliefs. And it's especially difficult in small town, close-minded Pennsylvania where at least 75% of the people stand together in thinking you're crazy, different, and wrong. Your story reminds me a little of another story I might have heard once or twice...about this 14-year-old kid from Palmyra, NY back in the day. ;) You were one of the very first here. You started something. Despite constant misunderstanding, disapproving looks, and whispers behind your back ever since that day 39 years ago, here you are standing firm. And that, dear parents, is pretty heroic in my book.

Dad, thanks for showing me how important it is to love every single person ever no matter what they've done, or where they are in life or what their background is. You lead with love, and I've learned so much from your example.

Mom, thanks for letting me cry and complain and talk your ear off for hours and days and months and years about all the awful things in life. You were the only person I felt comfortable talking to at that point. I'm glad I could confide in you, it helped to talk. And now I get to go to you for advice all the time. =)

I could pretty much go on for awhile, but will end here. So in closing, thank you thank you for everything. You are loved and appreciated. And I still haven't given up on the idea that we'll all pitch in and buy you guys a beach house one day to party in. But only if I'm invited.

Love,
Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment