Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Friday, August 19, 2011

The one with flashbacks and some nasty sancocho

First order of business: Yesterday I noticed I'm coming up on my 100th post, and I got all excited, until I realized that over 30% of said posts were still in draft form. So I went through them. I deleted a couple, but I did find a handful of gems. I don't know why I didn't post them...some of them have anger/emotion in them that maybe I didn't think should be shared. Others I just never got around to brushing them up. And even more others I read and thought to myself "this is hilarious why the heck didn't I share this?" So you guessed it, I decided to post them.

Forgive some of them for still being in somewhat of a rough draft form, I wanted to leave them be as best I could.

From most recent to oldest:

Being a kid at heart

The one where I slept through a tornado

the irony of life

Can I just have a thank you, please?

I'm a survivor

One weird and unexpected reason why I wanna get married

A dream is a wish your heart makes...or not



I think my personal favorites are a dream is a wish your heart makes...or not, and the irony of life. Irony is funny to look back on because it reminds me of how ridiculous I behaved when Josh and I first started dating, and how embarrassed I was at the thought of dating someone younger than me. I remember apologizing to him for being so weird and giving him mixed signals, and he responded (via text) "that's ok. I think it's just hard for you to admit that you like me a whole bunch" haha. He had me figured out better than I did.



Second order of business: Sancocho (aka latin american soup/stew). Yesterday I tried a puerto rican version of Sancocho for the first time. It was a terrifying experience. I was told it had potatoes and squash in it. I took a bite of just the broth, and it tasted horribly of fish. Now, a little side note. To me, seafood is not a real word. Because anything that comes from the sea, is clearly NOT food. How could something that looks, tastes, feels, and especially smells, SO GROSS be meant to eat? It's got 4 out of the 5 senses stacked up against it. I will never understand how or why people consume sea creatures. Especially the slimy rubbery pungent ones.

So I tasted fishyness in the broth. I was a guest in someone's house and they had offered it to me so I didn't want to offend them. I continued eating. I ate around what I was pretty sure was the culprit of the awful taste...grayish bite-sized pieces of blech, with a really unappetizing hairy/bumpy quality to them. It looked like it had feelers. I ate the potatoes, the squash. Then all I had left was the pieces of blech, and I'm not sure why, but I decided to cut a tiny nibble and eat it. It was like I put death in my mouth. I swallowed that thing whole (which was pretty easy given the texture) in under a second from the time I put that spoon to my lips. And I refused to eat any more of it.

Here's the good news: the maker of the sancocho expected me not to like it and wasn't offended. I researched sancocho online once I got home only to find that unless you're from Colombia, there shouldn't be fish in it, but yummy ingredients like chicken or beef. (That discovery wasn't good news, I was kind of pissed..."why the heck did they put squid/fish/I don't even know what the poo that was in there??") But because I like to have cooking adventures, I've decided that my next one will be to make my own sancocho, and you can bet your bottom dollar it will not have anything rubbery, smelly, or barf-worthy in it. I will blog of this adventure whenever it happens.

2 comments:

  1. Ewwwww! I hate seafood too, I would not have been thrilled about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the funny pictures!! ;) Hey so if you want something done on your blog, email me:

    abowler.88@gmail.com

    And I definitely have stuff that matches your background completely ;)

    ReplyDelete