Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Who I am, who I'm not, and who I wanna be

Day 18: The person I wish I could be

Dear Future Me:

A better title would be a letter to who I wish I could become, cuz I always wanna stay me, just better. And future me, if you're anything like I'm hoping, then I'm pretty sure you're gonna look back on now-me and think "how the heck did that happen?" And I'll tell you right now, it'll be a miracle. A big one. Probably the biggest one ever. But I believe it's possible to be done. Because somehow, there's always things about me changing. I learn a little more. Get a little more experience. Get better. Grow. Find a puzzle piece or two that fit my whole big picture. Progress. Time is a funny thing. And I really hope that you look back on it all, and feel really happy, and accomplished.

So here's what I hope you're like future me: I hope you have a good education, and that you work doing something you love, but is still worthy of the occasional complaint. What's life without that? I hope you're a good mom. I hope even if you're old, or fat, or have one eye or one leg or a big ugly scar somewhere noticeable....that your husband and loved ones think you're beautiful. And I hope you don't care what anyone else thinks. I think I already have that one down basically, but hopefully I've perfected the art of not caring. I hope you've learned to go with your "gut instinct" so to speak, because it's always right. I hope you just get funner and funner with time. And I really hope that you're able to help so many people, and make them feel warm and welcome and happy and comfortable. But most importantly, I just hope you're a jolly soul, doing what you love with the people you love.

P.S. Will I ever reach the point where I look back on my past self and DON'T feel like I used to be a complete idiot? Because I pretty much always feel that way. I guess if I really think about it, the only time I feel that way is when I've made a mistake in the past, and know better now. And unfortunately I'm always gonna make mistakes my entire life, so it looks like I'm gonna be feeling like an idiot a lot in my future. Oh well. All a part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment