Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Ode to Valentine's Day

Or more correctly, a post about Valentine's day.

Today was just another day for me. A good day. I find myself more and more annoyed each year with people who get so bent out of shape and upset and decide to hate Valentine's day because they're single. Or call it Single's Awareness Day, SAD for short. Cry me a frickin' river. If you didn't make such a big deal about it, it wouldn't be that bad. Stop all the self pity. Treat it like a normal day, and that's what it becomes. Plus an extra excuse to eat cute cupcakes and chocolates and flirt and share silly valentine's cards with friends. What's so bad about that? Ugh. Don't you know your life is so perfectly yours? So perfectly unique and such a gift. And your time will come and it will be exactly what you needed and better than you can dream. I suppose we all forget that too easily.

Any other day, you might find me complaining about this very subject, though usually I'm quiet as a mouse. So maybe I'm being a tad hypocritical. But not today. Today I'm grateful for the life I've been given. I spent my evening curled up by the woodstove reading a book, eating cake, and watching movies. And looking forward to a time when I can enjoy the evening with my someone. And it was fantastic. How fortunate I am.

I became so aware in the past few days of how many heartbroken, hurting souls there are in this world. It's staggering. The thought had me in tears last nite. Some people have a right to hate this day. Divorce. Infidelity. Break-ups days before. Years of life and effort and trust thrown out the door in seconds. How I could go on. I wish I knew how to comfort those people I know personally. How to comfort all, and make everything better. Pray for those dear people. Or whatever it is you do. Send good thoughts and hopes their way. Lift up the hands that hang down. Mourn with them, cry with them, comfort them. Oh, how they need you. You can't imagine their pain.

I could be wrong, but I always thought Valentine's Day was meant to celebrate love in general. Not just between a couple. I don't think there's a person on earth who doesn't love someone...mother, sister/brother, a child. Love your people, and celebrate that love. It is a gift. It's beautiful. It's a miracle in itself and because of it miracles are wrought. So for goodness sake, stop hating today.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sheridan. It was really fun this year to make it about the kids - candlelight dinner, candy & telling why we loved each other. They felt special, and it was my favorite year so far - and NOT because of the car, which we were buying anyway. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete