Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's a man's world, and I'm boycotting it.

Right now at this very moment, I have decided to boycott Transformers 3. Which is a difficult choice, because I do love those movies. But the director, I'm starting to realize, is a complete pig, and this is all just getting a little out of hand.

Last summer, I saw Revenge of the Fallen and LOVED it. With the exception of the uber-lame love story and terrible acting that went with it. Yes, I understand Megan Fox and Shia Lebeouf are two beautiful people and that is (sadly) the most important thing to people watching, but really. Lame lines. Lame scenes. Lame, lame, lame. The rest of the movie? Great. After that, I bought the first one and watched that...I'd never seen it before. Turns out I liked the second better. But anywho, in watching both of them, I realized that not only is Megan Fox's acting terrible, but it's not exactly her fault because her character in those movies has absolutely no purpose but to show off her body and make all the boys watching get just a little too excited. As she leans over the hood of a car wearing a bra-sized shirt, or sits on top of a motorcycle wearing booty shorts...really? Every single female character in those movies (which is basically mom and girlfriend) have absolutely no abilities, or intelligence, or anything whatsoever. One is made to look like a complete idiot, and the other is used as an object to turn on men watching.

So the other week, I saw this article on Yahoo that Megan Fox would not be in Transformers 3, because they decided that in this one, Shia Lebeouf's character needs to be focused on other things besides his love life and there won't be any of that in this movie. And I thought to myself, cool, more action and stuff that made the first 2 movies worth watching, less annoying crap.

But THEN, I just read the most recent news. Apparently the no love interest thing was a lie. Megan Fox is being replaced. By a Victoria's Secret model with no acting experience whatsoever. Really Mr. Director, really? (I guess I should do my research cuz I don't know his name...not that it's even worth knowing, the jerk.) So basically, if I'm thinking correctly right now, this director purposely finds dumb women with terrible and/or no acting skills to play roles where the sole purpose is to use her as an object for men's lust. Great. Sign me up for that one. Let's drill into the minds of women the world over that the only thing they're good for is to show off their bodies so they can turn on guys.

If, when that movie comes out next summer, it turns out that this female character is intelligent and does cool things and helps save the world, I will stand corrected. But judging by the first 2 movies, I would bet all the money in my bank account (which sounds like a huge deal but isn't much right now haha) that I'm not wrong. I suddenly really appreciate movies like Iron Man, where one female lead is intelligent and classy and organized, and the other one can kick butt without needing any iron suit. =)

So anywho, I'm boycotting it. Yeah, it will have no effect whatsoever. Yes, the movie will probably still break records and everyone I know will talk about how awesome it was. But I need to stand against this blatant degradation of a woman's worth. End of story.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm proud of you for boycotting. i tell you what, I will boycott with you, simply because I cannot handle the idea of watching cars turn into robots. I just can't:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard in some news form recently that she was not going to be in the third movie by her own choice. It was because the director is a pig and treated her and other women badly. Someone in the report said she is spoiled, but still doesn't deserve to get treated that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes out, I'll let you know if you should continue your boycott or not, because I get to be there. I'd rather sit next to him while he watches it than have him go with friends/brothers without me! A little reality check is good for both of us: here's your real love life, and it's awesome; too bad some women like that like to show off their bodies, huh.

    ReplyDelete