Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Logan's Run

Alright, so...about 2 and a half months ago I up and decided I was gonna run a 5k, right?

Here's the post where it all began: So I'm a runner now...barf

For about 3-4 weeks I "trained", if you can even call it that. I really had no idea what I was doing haha. I got up and ran most mornings, having not run in years and years. I only ran the actual 5k distance twice. Usually I only ran 1.5 miles, sometimes not even that much. The 2 weeks leading up to the race, I got lazy, I got a cold for part of it, and didn't run a single time, yikes! Haha it was so bad.

That being said, I told myself I would do this thing to support the kiddos at work, and so, on April 14th in Harrisburg, I did it. Here are the before shots:




There were about 300 people in the race and we started it by going across the footbridge from City Island to Front Street. I got caught up in the moment and overworked myself at the very start, which for you non-runners means you end up being worn out and tired and slower than normal for the entire race. Woohoo! haha

I also felt like I was going to break my leg on the bridge, because 300 people running on it all at once causes some pretty serious waves and shaking (this is a really big metal bridge, btw), and it kept coming up to meet my feet before I expected it to and it felt SO WEIRD. I literally ran on my toes doing high-knees across the entire thing but it didn't help much.

With all the negatives aside, I pushed through the whole race, passed 2 people I had made a goal to get in front of, and finished in 34 minutes, coming in 206th out of the 300. I missed my goal of 30 minutes, but I didn't care! I was so proud of myself! =) Plus, my previous fastest time was 35 minutes.


I would like to try it again sometime soon...I've since learned some tips to properly train, like doing interval training and lots of sprints, so that's my next goal and I'm excited to see it happen! Next goal: 27 minutes. And more than 6 weeks to get ready haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment